Saturday 28 November 2015

Fed up with OPM cybersecurity

Oh, the irony! I just received my letter from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), as one of the more than 20 million federal employees whose personal data was exposed in the agency’s data breach in June. OPM offered two years of credit and personal data monitoring though a contractor-administered program called “MyIDCare,” in an attempt to mitigate data exploitation.

I registered on OPM’s cybersecurity site for MyIDCare Protection. Two days later, I tried to access my account online, but it was locked; the only option available to unlock the account was to call the contractor. The technician asked for my name, Social Security number and the answer to one of my security questions, over the phone. I asked if that was even safe, and whether account verification could be done on a secure Web site. For the full article click here 



from cyber security caucus http://ift.tt/1IoLLc7
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment