Friday 21 August 2015

Keeping Smart Cities Smart: Preempting Emerging Cyber Attacks in U.S. Cities

Institute for Critical Infrastructure – Keeping Smart Cities Smart: Preempting Emerging Cyber Attacks in U.S. Cities

The idea for researching current cyber security-related issues in cities originated during my previous research, hacking traffic control systems. As my knowledge grew regarding our connected infrastructure, I became increasingly concerned about the current security posture of the world’s infrastructure. After an in-depth analysis and weighing the security challenges of new technology adoption in cities, I felt compelled to write this report. I also asked select Fellows from the Institute for Critical Infrastructure Technology (ICIT) to contribute their expertise to this report as well.

The goal of this paper is to generate consciousness about current cyber security issues in cities in order to kick-start discussions and actions to improve their security.

During my 15 years in offensive cyber security, I have found and reported hundreds of security vulnerabilities to CERTs (Computer Emergency Response Teams) and to most major software vendors. I have created innovative offensive cyber security techniques, employing different technologies for various security areas.

My experience gives me a unique view of a cyber-attacker’s perspective when targeting a city. It allows me to better assess current and future possible cyber threats and attack impacts.

It is important for decision makers, technology vendors, and the general public to understand and take action on the content of this report.

View the original content and more from this author here: http://ift.tt/1hPzXcb



from cyber security caucus http://ift.tt/1U3l2qz
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment